Sunday, September 29, 2013

Wrap Up....Teaching With Technology EDLD 5364

This class proved to be very informational. Not only did I learn new information useful for teaching, but I learned a lot of about myself as a student. Through the weekly readings and videos I was able to gain new information that is beneficial to my teaching. I have always been a huge proponent of technology, but I didn't always know how to incorporate it. The book Using Technology With Classroom Instruction That Works was very helpful for me. Pitler provided me with lots of examples of technology that can be incorporated in the classroom. I will definitely keep this book handy due to its examples for diverse learning with technology.
This group assignment taught me a lot. I learned how to use a UDL lesson plan to create a diverse lesson. Prior to the class, I had never hear of or even used a UDL lesson plan. Working with this group assignment taught me quite a bit. Before this assignment, I thought that it would be easy to adapt my lessons for diverse learners or students with impairments. But having to adapt an actual lesson, I had to think through all of the different steps that would need to be taken to successfully create an adapted lesson. This new information transferred my old thinking of how simple it would be to adapt a lesson for students with impairments and made me realize how in depth I have to think when adapting a lesson.
I learned quite a bit about myself as a learner within this course due to having to complete a group assignment via the internet. It was a lot different trying to cooperate with three people all from different places. Technology is such an awesome thing! It was a challenge trying to work with three different people through the internet because there was not the instant feedback there to help get answers when there were questions. This class proved to be a challenge, but it helped me become more decisive and independent. I tend to need approval and want to make sure I am correct (especially in a group project) but not meeting face to face made me be decisive and confident in my decisions. I think the help from my colleagues is what got me through the course. At times the directions and expectations were unclear, so four heads together to figure out what we had to do worked out in our favor.
This course challenged me as an individual learner and as a group member, but I have grown as a learner and educator. I will be able to take the information I have learned from the readings and videos and apply them to my future as an educator.  Teaching Every Student in the Digital Age said "Successful learning experiences challenge and support each learner appropriately and adjust as the learner changes over time" (Rose).  How true for my learning experience in this masters program! My successful learning experiences within this course will allow me to continue to my journey as a life-long learner. 



  • Page, M. S. (2002). Technology-enriched classrooms: Effects on students of low socioeconomic status. Journal of Research on Technology in Education, 34(4), 389–409. Retrieved from the International Society of Education at http://www.iste.org/AM/Template.cfm?Section=Number_4_Summer_20021&Template=/MembersOnly.cfm&ContentFileID=830
  • Pitler, H., Hubbell, E., Kuhn, M., & Malenoski, K. (2007). Using technology with classroom instruction that works. Alexandria, VA: Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development.
  • Rose, D., & Meyer, A. (2002). Teaching every student in the digital age: Universal design for learning. Alexandria, VA: Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development. Available online at the Center for Applied Special Technology Web site. Chapter 6. Retrieved from http://www.cast.org/teachingeverystudent/ideas/tes/

No comments:

Post a Comment