Sunday, September 29, 2013

Last but not Least...Week Five

This week's readings about assessment was very helpful to me. I tend to forget that assessments are not only used to assess a students learning, but it is used to my teaching. Therefore, assessments are extremely important in order to make sure I am doing a good job. But if we have the traditional type of assessment, such as a test at the end of a unit, how would we as a teacher adjust our teaching if the unit is over? “It makes more sense to have ongoing assessment – the way evaluators do that is known as formative evaluation”  (Solomon & Schrum, 2007, p.168). Ongoing Assessment will provide the chance to assess your students learning and your teaching at multiple parts during a unit.
In this weeks videos, there was information about using a variety of assessments to assess students learning. I think various assessments will be extremely beneficial for both my learning and my students. I like the idea of video games as assessments. Students will respond better to assessments if they are geared towards their interests. 

Solomon, G., & Schrum, L. (2007). Web 2.0: New tools, new schools. Eugene, OR: International Society for Technology in Education, 168-176.

No comments:

Post a Comment